Friday, March 16, 2012

Succumbing to Sickness...

Happy Running everyone!  Hope you all had a chance to enjoy at least a couple days in the beautiful weather (at least, here in central Maryland)...

So, what have I been up to in the past week.  Pretty much absolutely nothing.  This past Monday morning, I woke up with a little tickle in my throat.  Monday afternoon, I managed to get in a really good 4-mile run.  After that, it was all downhill from there health-wise.  As the week progressed, I started becoming more congested, more sore, and my throat felt like it was on fire.  This whole week, I'd go to bed around 10 p.m., wake up around 6 a.m., come downstairs, fall asleep until around noon, wake up for lunch, fall back asleep for another couple hours, eat dinner, vege(table) in front of the TV for a couple hours, and repeat the whole cycle.

What's so frustrating about all this is that I was/am really starting to make progress in my weight loss. I hate establishing some really good momentum only to have it broken by something totally out of my control.  It's frustrating reading on FB on everyone else getting in runs in awesome weather and feeling GREAT.  It sucks watching from my window all the runners and walkers on the walking path behind my house.  It stinks not being able to update my profile on "The Daily Mile."

I finally broke down and went to the doctor's yesterday.  They ruled out strep, which is always good.  The doc's not sure why I've gotten worse over the past couple days instead of better, so she gave me some antibiotics to knock out whatever I have.  As of this morning, I feel somewhat better but still pretty tired.

There has been one good thing that has come out of all this.  I did manage to drop another pound.  As of this morning I'm down to 185 pounds.  For that, I'm really thankful I've incorporated weightlifting into my work-out regime.  I'm guessing the muscle I've built up (or recovered) over the past few weeks have helped increase my metabolism.

So, I will take this week-end and rest and recover as much as possible, and hopefully Monday start fresh.  Long breaks usually bode well for me, so I plan on coming back stronger and, well, rested.  All of this leads me to my weekly Zip-ah-dee-doo-dah Tip for the Day:  Wash your hands as much as possible.  This is something I'm always preaching to the kids I coach.  Wash your hands whenever you can, for it gets rid of all the germs that build up on them as the day progresses.

Until next time, stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment